This post is all about being flexible and going with the flow. (What started as a project for the bedroom, ended up as a project for the entryway.) I had a vision in mind for our master bedroom update, and I’ve had a hard time bringing that vision to life. Originally, I wanted mirrored windows to flank the bed above each bedside table. I wanted something that was a little distressed looking and had a nice arched top. There are many pictures floating around Pinterest that are similar to what I had envisioned, the most famous of them would probably be this picture from Liz Marie Galvin’s blog.
I found a couple of options online, but the mirrors were $250-$500 total (way more than I budgeted for). So I knew I had to get creative and keep my eye out for something I could work with. I searched local garage sale sites and found two mirrors from a bedroom set that had the rounded top I was searching for, $50 total (that’s more like it!)
Sand, Bleach, Repeat
I wasn’t entirely sure what I was doing, but I knew the original stain was too yellowish for me to live with. I started by completely sanding off the stain. Then I bleached the wood, which is just what it sounds like. Using a non-splash bleach, I painted the sanded piece and let it dry out in the sun. After it was completely dry, I rinsed it with water and let it dry again. I did this bleaching process 2-3 times with each mirror. I thought I might like the raw, light wood as is, but when I held the mirrors up against the wall I wasn’t a fan. They had a pinkish hue to them, maybe because of the type of wood? *Sigh* On to plan B!
Original (left) Bleached (right)
Bring on the stain
Plan B was to get a weathered look with a grey stain. I used Minwax Classic Grey, hoping to get a farmhouse feel.
Nope. Nope. Nope.
The stain was a really dark grey, almost purple/bluish.
On to White-Washing
The last step was an act of desperation. At this point, I just wanted to be done with these mirrors. I ran in the house, got some left over white chalk paint and mixed it with equal parts water. I painted on the water/paint mixture and then took a rag and rubbed off the excess. Even with the white-wash finish, these mirrors just didn’t work in our bedroom. I put them out in the garage for a month or so. We needed a break. (My frustration with the process resulted in me not taking any photos of the white-washing process, sorry guys!)
This past week, I decided to try the mirrors out in our entryway. I used washi tape to create the look of window panes. The color is a little off, but I think it works. I’m not 100% in love with the finished product, and honestly, for this area of the house, I think the raw wood may have worked better than the white-washed grey. All in all, I think it looks good enough to say I’m done for now, and I can always change it in the future if I feel so inclined. 🙂 Check out the before and after pics of the entryway below.
As always, thanks for stopping by!